Friday, June 10, 2016

Review: Scare-A-Con: New England


Conventions are something that I love going to as I usually go to a couple of a year. Whether its Rhode Island Comic Con to Terror Con to Rocky Horror Conventions, I usually love going to them unless I get locked out at a convention like I did at RICC 2014 because of overcapacity. The decision to go out of state for Scare-A Con: New England was an easy one since I’ve heard good things out their convention in New York and the fact that Terror Con isn’t running for the second year in a row. It’s been a week since I went to Scare-A-Con: New England, I felt it was time to reflect about it.

The convention was a very good convention for a first year convention. One of the main reasons that I liked about it was the fact that everything ran smoothly. Never did I get a sense that there was a sense of major disorganization. The panels ran on time and I also liked that the moderators knew what they were taking about and asking questions to various guests at the panels as it helped made the panels works. “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” shadowcast performed by The Kids of Albany was a fun time as it felt like a party atmosphere. The VIP party was a good time as the entertainment was good and everyone was interested while chatting amongst other congoers and celebs. The film portion of the convention may have not been running on time the last day but at least they gave me chance to catch both the films playing on that day and it did cut the wait time that I had to catch the bus back home. Overall, the events presentation was good. The convention floor moved very well. Never did I feel that I got bogged down by traffic or by long lines. There were a lot nice guests at the convention including Sean Whalen (The People Under the Stairs, Laid to Rest), James Lorniz (Frankenhooker, Street Trash), Patty Mullen (Frankenhooker), Tom Atkins (Night of the Creeps, Escape from New York) P.J Soles (Halloween, Carrie), Felissa Rose ( Sleepaway Camp, Cesar and Otto’s Summer Camp Massacre), Andrew Anderson (The Wrestler), Tony Moran (Halloween), Jordan Ladd (Grindhouse, Cabin Fever), special effect wizard Cleve Hall (Ghoulies, Terrorvision) and Traci Beaulieu and Frank Conniff from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Also there were very good vendors and podcasters there including Rock N Horror Appeal, Vinegar Syndrome, Mad Z Productions, Flat Foot Films, Trick or Treat Radio, The Dorkening , Phillip Perone and the people over at Dark Discussions podcast.

I also managed to catch two New England Premieres and a documentary while I was there. First, it was a behind the scenes documentary of the upcoming horror film “Death House” which features many horror icons including Kane Hodder, Tony Moran, Sean Whalen and Tony Todd to name a few. This was presented by The Dorkening, they spend some time on the set of the film and go into a little history on the location as well which made this a good watch. It’s something worth check out as its available on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaucdKAnME

“She Kills”, which is homage to various grindhouse films. I won’t go into much about this film as I’ll be reviewing this film here in the next week or two but it was off the wall craziness.

The other film that I caught was “Night of Something Strange”. I really enjoyed this film as it had a mixture or crazy and serious horror elements that made this very fun and terrifying. It also had good lead performances from its leads and had a cameo from 80’s scream queen and one of my favorites Brinke Stevens. A film that you should keep an eye on when it eventually finds distribution.

This was my ninth convention that I’ve been to and it was one of the best I’ve been to blows Terror Con out of the water. This was well worth the weekend getaway from Rhode Island as credit has to go to the organizers of Scare A Con: New England for making this a fun convention and I hope that it’ll be back next year as I would highly consider making the trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment