Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Review: Stirring


I may not crowdfund a lot but there are some filmmakers where I would be glad to contribute to no matter what the project. This was no exception with “Stirring” as I was one of the contributors to the film’s Kickstarter. I made it no secret that I’m affiliated with Fright Meter Films sister company Fright Meter Awards but there was another reason why gladly contributed here. I was excited over the fact that both Helene Udy from “My Bloody Valentine” and “Nightflyers” and Brinke Stevens from “Sorority Babes at the Slimebowl-O-Rama”, “Nightmare Sisters”and most recently “Trophy Heads” were in this as I loved their films and it’s also still nice to see them acting.

The film is about a sorority sister who lives the same sorority house where her older sister was murdered right before Christmas by another sorority sister who then took her own life years ago. She and her fellow sisters plan a party to celebrate Christmas. But a night of fun takes a deadly turn when a killer dressed as Mrs. Claus is starts killing them them. Now, they must find of this psychopath before they all end up dead.

Going to into “Stirring”, I was excited for this more than “Party Night” because of the 80’s horror stars that were involved. Thankfully by the end of the film, I liked this film a lot as this was a bloody and disturbing film from start to finish.

One of the reasons that I had a good time with this film was Troy Escamilla’s direction. He does a very good job making sure your feeling horrified or off balanced. Whether it was the way that makes the death scenes have a very gory feel to it to making sure the scenes move along, everything is done in a way that you’re having a fun time watching it. The other thing that I liked about the directing was the fact the acting was very good. I liked how Escamilla does a very good job making sure the cast had chemistry with each other. It was important because the death scenes in the film are spaced out. When that happens, you need the acting to keep you interested in the film. Escamilla does that, as he makes sure the performances are directed in a way that you’re invested in these characters

Escamilla’s screenplay is what made this film work me. One of the things that I liked about this was the fact that it takes risks. This film is way bloody and more disturbing than his first feature. From the death scenes to the opening of the film, everything is scripted in a way that gives a very uneasy feel to it. This film felt like “Silent Night, Deadly Night” and “Black Christmas” combined into one film. It made this for an interesting and shocking film. The other thing that makes this screenplay good was the way the death scenes were created. It was done in a way that it grabs your attention and had a bloody tone to it. When a slasher film like this does that, you know you’re having a good time. This was definitely the case with me as time was flying along and I was enjoying every minute of it.

This is surely going to be one of those Christmas films that will be in my holiday rotation of Christmas horror films. With its intense gore and very good direction from Troy Escamilla, “Stirring” is one holiday horror film that will end up on Christmas viewing list.

No release plans are announced for this film as of this time.

Review Rating: Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment