Friday, March 6, 2015

Review: "Aeon: The Last Vampyre on Earth"


“Aeon: The Last Vampire on Earth” is a different kind of vampire film to say the least. The film follows Catherine Murnau as she becomes trapped in warehouse after something catastrophic happens. It doesn’t take long for a mysterious being to be released in the building. She begins to realize that what is out loose in the building is the last vampire on earth. Realizing that there maybe no way out of this mess for her, she begin to engage him as he talks about human history. What she finds out is something shocking and so shattering about the truth.

Going into “Aeon: The Last Vampire, I wasn’t expecting this deliver much in the way of enjoyment. Still, I wanted to check this out since it’s a vampire film and I love vampire films. The end result was for a mixed bag, which was better than expected going in.

One of the things that I liked about this film was its directing. Director and star Daniel E. Falicki does very good job making sure the film has a dark apocalyptic tone throughout. By having this tone and look, it gave this dark dreary feeling that prescients throughout the film. It also allowed some of the film’s tense scenes feel scary. The other thing that makes this film good was its acting. The film is basically focused on characters trapped in a building. What made this good was the way that Falicki makes sure that he and his actress April Basile have chemistry with each other. There are a lot of scenes where it’s just those two characters talking to each for most of the film, but it’s the way that they work off each other that makes the scenes good enough to keep my interest.

On the other hand, the screenplay written by Warren Croyle and Ryan Lieke wasn’t the best of screenplays that I’ve seen as of lately. One of the things that I didn’t like about the screenplay was the fact that all of the action and drama scenes were contained in one place. There were times that I was bored with all the back and forth dialogue that was led to nowhere especially in the middle of the film. If it wasn’t for the performances this would have been a major hindrance in this film. The other thing I didn’t like was the fact there was little character development throughout. I was hoping it would explore the two characters and what was going on in the background. There was a little of this here, but I wished it went more into to that aspect. It would’ve made this story more interesting.

I was expecting “Aeon: The Last Vampire” to be a total failure but was surprised that the acting and directing. If this had a better screenplay, then I could recommend it. Sadly, I can’t.

Review Rating: Two and Half Skulls

No comments:

Post a Comment