Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review: “Psychophony: An Experiment In Evil”


“Psychophony: An Experiment In Evil” is a Spanish paranormal horror film about a doctor, who conducts experiments on a group of patients who have schizophrenia. The doctor does this project without approval from the board of Psychological Studies. She’s trying to prove that their condition has to do with something that is paranormal. These studies lead to the death of her and two other people. When everything is discovered, what is found is some chilling EVPs that unleashes a dark manifestation from the other side.

Going into “Psychophony: An Experiment In Evil”, this was a film that I thought I wasn’t going to enjoy because the type of horror film that this. I never heard a thing about this film until now which lowered my expectations. But I have to say, I surprisingly enjoyed this film as this was intense especially the last third of the film.

One of the things that makes this good was the directing. Writer/director Xavier Berraondo does a very good job with the way that he handles the direction. From the way some of the scenes looked to how he directs the action set pieces, everything looked very dark and intense at times. It kept me interested with what was going. The other thing that I liked was the way that the acting was directed. Berraondo does a very good job making sure the performances are dark and interesting enough that you’re interested in the characters and the film’s material. This is what made me like this film, because you need performances like these for a film like this to work.

Berraondo’s screenplay was also good. One of the things that makes this screenplay work so well was the way that it develops it characters. By giving most of the characters subplots and characteristics like this film did, it made me interested in the film’s story. I wish more films that deal with the paranormal and its characters like this film does, as it would make me interested with everything going and kept my interest up till the end. The other thing that I liked about the screenplay was that it builds up the tension as the film’s goes along. The last thirty minutes of this film was very good. It was able to be very good because Berraondo doesn’t rush the action. Instead, he makes sure that it builds it up during the course of the film. Whether it’s the small scares in the beginning to the intense finale, everything kept building up. When that happens, the film’s ending pays off in a big way like this film did.

This is one of those rare horror films that you might have never heard off, but it’s just that good. “Psychophony: An Experiment In Evil” is an intense paranormal film with scares that will haunt you.

Review Rating: Four Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment